Entry visa for transportation

A transport entry visa is a travel document that non-EU citizens require in order to transit Italy. Since this is a VSU Uniform Schengen Visa of type C, i.e., short-term, the transit cannot exceed 90 days. This title allows non-EU citizens a short stay aimed at carrying out professional activities concerning the transportation of goods and/or people. The transportation involved can be of a different nature:
  • maritime transport.
  Let's try to find out who it is for and what are the requirements for obtaining this entry visa for Italy.

How to Apply for a Transportation Visa

Like all entry visas, the Transport Visa must be applied for at the Italian Embassy in the applicant's home country. The latter must demonstrate, in the application, a professional status relevant to the requested visa, as well as provide all specifics about transit in Italy and the type of transportation. It follows that this title may be required by certain categories of workers in the transportation sector. The documentation required to obtain the title does not vary substantially from more common visas (e.g., tourist visa). Let's analyze below what the documents are to apply for this title.

Where can I find the documentation for the visa?

Welcome Association Italy suggests consulting the institutional reference portal made available by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. Through the Visa for Italy page, in fact, it is very easy to understand what the documentation is for the visa application. Simply fill out a short form consisting of four fields:
  1. nationality
  2. the country of residence;
  3. the length of stay;
  4. the reason for the stay.
  When completed, the system responds by providing all information regarding the documentation to be given for the request.

Transportation Visa Documentation

As reported earlier, the documentation required for this title does not differ too much from the most common visas. The list of documents required for processing the file follows:
  • Visa application form;
  • Documentation certifying "transporter" status;
  • passport-size photograph;
  • Passport with validity longer than the duration of the Visa;
  • Documents certifying the purpose of the stay in Italy;
  • certification of possession of economic means of livelihood, according to Directive of the Ministry of the Interior 1.3.2000;
  • Documents related to an accommodation in which you will stay;
  • health insurance covering a minimum of expenses equivalent to €30,000 for emergency hospitalization and repatriation, valid throughout the Schengen area.

Timing and obtaining title

Once the documents have been submitted and properly completed, the applicant must wait for the Embassy in question to process the request. The length of the procedure is not predetermined and depends greatly on the workload of the embassy or consulate. As stated on the Farnesina FAQ, issuing a visa can take 15 to 45 days. This information, in conjunction with the appropriate completion of the documentation to be submitted, could avoid unpleasant surprises, such as a title denial.

Transportation Visa and Transit Visa

It is necessary to pay close attention to the difference between Transportation Visa and Transit Visa. These are two similar motives, fortunately only in form. A Transit Visa, unlike a Transport Visa, is a title that a non-EU national, coming from and going to a country outside the European Union, requires in order to "cross European borders." This Visa can only be issued on the condition that the applicant is authorized to enter the country of destination. Hoping to have been helpful to our members and to have deflected some doubts regarding the title for transportation, Welcome Association Italy wishes you a safe journey.

Lascia un commento